Thursday 28 November 2013

OUGD504 - Design for print - laser cutting the boxes

Design for print - laser cutting the boxes

28th November 2013

I decided it would probably be best if I were to laser cut the black boxes BEFORE I print on them with screens/ hand print because it will be easier to register without pencilling onto the stock.

(The black boxes are the 'rose' boxes)

It took me around THREE hours to laser cut these as there were problems with the laser cutter - it kept freezing up and I couldn't figure out why. I resolved the problem by being patient with the machines and not rushing them!

One of the final cut out boxes:




I made about 6 (I want 4 in total) to leave room for errors with screen printing.

I need to decide whether I should laser cut the other designs before or after I screen print - there is no easy way of registering the artwork with the octagon since the design is complicated and the net is symmetrical so I would depend on registration marks around the artwork to align different layers. However the smallest box could probably be laser cut first.


No comments:

Post a Comment